Monday, August 25, 2008

The Need for Speed

I have a deadline. One of my Mother-In-Laws' birthday is on Wednesday and my darling husband asked me to make her something. Which is fine. But, give me say...more than 2 days. He wasn't thinking ahead and yeah, I have two days to make this thing.

Two freaking days.

I wanted to knit a shawl for her, but after three failed attempts to follow a pattern...I decided (in the best interest of TIME) to crochet something instead. Wracking my brain for a fast shawl, I decided on Broomstick or the very apt knickname: Jiffy lace. Booyah. I'm working it in a step fashion so once the edging is done it will be one big triangle.

I really enjoyed writing this pattern up. I was able to set the base chain at a prime number, have each loop section be in groups of seven, and have every single row contain an odd number of stitches. Oh, the happy happy joy!

I will be posting the pattern once the shawl is complete...just in case I screwed something up. But, so far, it's looking nice. I wish I had more time to make this. I would have ordered a nice wool yarn. However, I had virtually no prep time (think about 3 hours), so I ended up with a very soft baby yarn in a soft, subtle blue/green/purple colorway. It's really pretty yarn and worked up in the broomstick lace, it makes a nice soft fabric. It has a surprisingly lovely drape so far, which I can only imagine will get better as the piece gets larger. I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

At this point all I can say is...it's a damn good thing I am a speed crocheter. I think I can do this. But, I have to get back to it instead of writing this inexpectedly long blog post. :)

Look for the pattern by Wednesday! 'Cause if it's going to get done...it's got to get done by then.

No comments: